Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Tablescape for dessert and tea

This is my simple tablescape for Christmas dessert and tea. Home grown oranges and lemons are studded with cloves and arranged on a three tiered cake stand to make a dramatic centerpiece. I cut protea flowers from my garden and arranged them in a vase to compliment the tea set. Cardamom flavored shortbread and tea is the perfect finale to any Christmas meal.

Please check out the cashew shortbread recipe.  It is sure to become one of your family's favorites for years to come.





Cashew Shortbread
This recipe is part of my Christmas menu from my book, Entertaining From an Ethnic Endian Kitchen. The traditional Christmas favorite shortbread cookie is flavored with cashews and cardamom.


Serves 4 - 6
• 1½ cups all purpose flour
• ½ cup ground raw cashew nuts
• 1 teaspoon green cardamom seed powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter
• ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 325º F.

In a bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, cashew nuts, cardamom powder and salt. In a bowl, using an electric mixer fitted with pedal attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.While mixer is on low speed, slowly add flour mixture. Mix until combined.
Spray 9-inch shortbread pan with nonstick cooking spray. Press dough evenly into the pan and refrigerate the pan for an hour. Using a toothpick or a fork, prick the entire surface to prevent from rising. Using a small knife, score the dough into desired size pieces. Bake the shortbread in the middle of the oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until shortbread is lightly golden. Immediately, re-score the bread and transfer to wire rack. Let it cool in the pan for 10 - 15 minutes. Unmold onto a flat surface. Cut into serving size pieces along the scored lines.

Cook’s Note: If you don’t have shortbread pan, use 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom.

For memorable tablescapes and entertaining ideas, please visit komalinunna.com.

7 comments:

  1. oh my stars, first your tablescape is lovely. The way you decorated the cake plates. Just so precious. But cashew shortbread. That is too good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table is wonderful and thank you so much for the wonderful recipe, i will have to give thatk ak try...thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Cardamom is my favorite spice, will try your shortbread cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try the cashew shortbread!....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Komali,
    you make me really happy with your participation on my blog party. Thank you very much. Your table is a eye-candy as always. Just lovely! I have never seen Proteas which look like green Orchids. Simply this bunch of Proteas in the silver bowl is so wonderful. And the lemons and oranges with cloves look (and smell as I guess) so great. And the tea set with the twig decorated handle is awesone. You have so wonderful things at your home. Now the cookies: I was sure you have a very tasty recipe. And I know just by now that this will be the family's favorites for the whole year. I really hope you will participate next week, too.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heуa i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

    my webpage ... online florist

    ReplyDelete