Thursday, January 14, 2010

Paramannam(Sweet rice)

 I hope you all add fun visiting my post about Sankranthi. If you miss it click here. 
I am still in the festival mood, feeling little home sick. In keeping  with traditions, today I want to post the recipe for sweet rice from my grand mother. It is called paramannam in my mother tongue.






Paramannam (Sweet Rice)
Religious festivals dot the Indian calendar throughout the year. In the South, this sweet rice is a part of prasad offerings to God during festivals.
• 1 cup long grain rice
• ¼ cup mung dal (optional)
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 ¾ cups water
• 6 cups hot whole milk
• 1 cup grated, packed jaggery(or light brown sugar)
• 1 teaspoon green cardamom
seed powder
• ⅓ cup ghee

• ½ cup raw cashew nuts
Combine rice, dal(if you are using), salt and water in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan (avoid using nonstick pan). Bring it to boil over medium high heat. Stir once. Reduce heat to lowest setting. Cover with the lid. Simmer for 10 - 12 minutes or until almost all the water is absorbed.
Stir in milk and increase heat to medium high and bring it to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 - 35 minutes or until rice is very soft while stirring often. Stir in jaggery and cook until jaggery is thoroughly incorporated into the rice mixture for about 10 minutes. Stir in cardamom powder.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat ghee over medium heat. Add cashews. Fry until golden brown. Add fried cashews along with the ghee to the cooked rice and stir in. Serve warm.



Detail: Using leaves as disposable plates is age old tradition in india




For more memorable tablescapes, recipes, and entertaining ideas, please check out my cookbook, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen, at my website komalinunna.com

Please check out   Foodie Friday for more recipes.




5 comments:

  1. I would love to try this rice. I'm not familiar with a few of the ingredients, but know I can find them here. It certainly looks delicious! --Delores

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very interesting and your photo of the rice as you serve it is really beautiful. I hope you are having a wonderful Foodie Friday and yhat your sense of homesickness will soon pass. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rice and nuts. The flavors just compliment each other. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rice pudding would be perfect to warm me up in the cold winter weather...

    ReplyDelete