Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thali Tablescape

Here is a tablescape with authentic thali. If you missed my post about what thali is, click here. Two weeks ago I taught a vegetarian cooking class. For every cooking class, it became customary for me to set the table for all the students and eat what we cooked that day. Since last class featured all vegetarian food, I set the table with traditional thalis from India. I not only want to teach students about food, I also want to provide a glimpse of Indian culture as well. If you want to eat vegetarian food, Indian food is the way to go. This tablescape is a fusion of Eastern Philosophy and Western style.

The table

Overall view of the table.

 
Notice I set the water glasses to the left at each place setting (it was intentional). As oppose to Westerners, Indians eat only with right hand. Left hand is used to drink water and to pass the food around. When I set the table with Indian theme, I set the water glass to the left.




 


 Single thali place setting.

  

 


Pink proteas and bird of paradise from my garden, coordinates so well with the color scheme.
  
  
Tangerines from the orchard still going strong. 

 


 

 

Salt and pepper any one? 
  

  

 
For more memorable tablescapes, recipes, and entertaining ideas, please check out my cookbook, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen, at my website komalinunna.com
Please check out Susan's blog, Between Naps on the Porch, for Tablescape Thursday.

14 comments:

  1. The bright colors really make this table. So simple and elegant. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog... the table is inspiring!! I've got to get my hands on the book now!!! Lovely... lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...love all the colors! The link you attached didn't seem to work...I'm going to go in and try to change it in Mr. Linky.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors on your table and the naturalness of the oranges in the centerpiece. Thanks for sharing your culture, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! Hard to take it all in without looking twice, or in my case, thrice! :) 1st look - "WOW! LOOK AT THOSE CHAIRS!!!" 2nd look - "WHAT BEAUTIFUL RICH, BRIGHT COLORS!!" 3rd look - "WHERE IS MY INVITATION?" Great job! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Komali,this tablescape is really lovely ... the pink and orange together ... are a wowwy ... I think the cream of your chairs sets of the table colors more beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stumbled upon your blog while searching for an Indian themed tablescape.I am so glad I found yours..been checking your blog everyday religiously and I plan to buy your cookbook.Totally impressed with your interest in cooking,decorating and entertaining with style.Now I am all eager to dress up my dining table for potlucks and parties!!I am also a big fan of Susan's betweennapsontheporch blog and somehow never got hold of your tablescapes all this while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I love how you blend the cultures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm craving indian food right now! Your tablescape looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I got to see a pretty tablescape AND get an education. I didn't know about the custom or eating only with the right hand. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete