Monday, November 4, 2013

Rangoli

Rangoli is a very popular Indian folk art created traditionally by women on the floor in front of their houses, in courtyards, and even in living rooms for festivals and weddings. It is also known as kolum or muggu in different parts of India. Although traditional rangolis are done in white, this art form has evolved into multi-colored designs, using tinted rice, legumes, flower petals, rice flour, and even different colored sand.

Well, I think traditions have to evolve based on your surroundings. My rangoli in front of my house for this year's Deepawali was made with fresh leaves from my garden. I should have photographed it after the middle diya (traditional oil lamp) was lit up. It is hard to be a host and a photographer. 



The following design was done with different colored sands. This image is adopted from my book, Entertaining from an Ethnic Indian Kitchen. 


For more memorable centerpieces, tablescapes, and recipes (including vegetarian, gluten free and vegan recipes), please check out my books, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen and Trader Joe's Simply


No comments:

Post a Comment