Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Chicken coop

I have been trying to sell the idea of getting chickens to my husband for almost 5 years. I kept on pestering him about how convenient it would be to grow chickens not only for their fresh eggs but also for their manure which can improve my compost tremendously. He brought up a valid point about who is going to take care of the chicken when we are away and how much work it would be. I like fresh and organic food. Fresh eggs can support my love of fresh foods. At last I convinced him give it a try. A few weeks ago, one of my friends told me that Sam's Club is selling an adorable chicken coop. Of course I had to go and check it out. I thought it was cute but not sturdy enough. So I decided to get someone to build it for me. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but it was good enough to live with it.

After years of wanting chickens, finally I got the coop.


After getting the coop, it was time to think about buying chicken. After doing extensive research, we decided to settle with buying them from a local feed store. First we got four chickens, 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Cochin, and 1 Rhode Island Red. After that, I found 1 barred rock and 1 leghorn.  Since we didn't want crowd the coop, we decided to return one ameraucuna. I was choosing the chickens for the color of their eggs, even though there is no difference in nutrition or flavor related to the color of their shell.

Both of us are feeling that we are responsible for five more lives. My husband is more ease at handling the chickens than I am. I am very surprised by his devotion to chickens. He says he took care of chickens while growing up in India. I am hoping to learn from him and maybe I won't be as hesitant to touch them. Well, wish me luck. I will keep you posted how my venture is turning out.




















For more memorable centerpieces, tablescapes, and recipes (including vegetarian, gluten free and vegan recipes),please check out my books, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen and Trader Joe's Simply Indian at my website komalinunna.com.


Sharing at:

3 comments:

  1. Your coop is pretty! Enjoy your chickens.
    Lori from LL Farm

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken coop came out really nice. I asked my husband if he took care of chickens in India. He just stared at me like I was crazy. There goes my idea of asking him for a chicken coop. So I will admire yours. :-)

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there
    I love your chicken coop! I live in Bangalore and would like the same chicken coop. Would you please let me know where I can get the same chicken coop. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete