Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Desgning and planting a kitchen garden

Spring is the most exciting time in the garden for me. It is the time to design and plant my kitchen garden. In southern California, we get to start the kitchen garden in March itself. How wonderful is that! 
As I always say, a good garden begins with good soil. It is very important to improve the soil before planting. I mixed the soil with homemade compost. The second most important thing is to rotate the crops. That is the reason I maintain a journal so that I won't plant the tomatoes in the same bed for the next three years. 

Kale and arugula 


I like sit at the patio table with a cup of tea to plan the garden


I have a triangular plot for the kitchen garden. In that plot, we built sixteen raised beds. A lot of planning goes into designing the kitchen garden. With sixteen raised beds, I still feel like I don't have enough space to grow everything I want to.


All cool weathered crops are thriving at the moment.

Cucumbers 


Swiss chard



Perennial Ivy gourd


Tomatoes




Zucchini






 Hot peppers

Colored peppers


Beets


Moringa Tree


Curry leaf plant


Part of the kitchen garden



For more memorable centerpieces, tablescapes, and recipes (including vegetarian, gluten free and vegan recipes),please check out my books, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen and Trader Joe's Simply Indian at my website komalinunna.com.

Sharing at:

No comments:

Post a Comment