Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cherimoya

Today I want to introduce you to the most delicious fruit, cherimoya, from my orchard. In India we call it Sitaphal. Cherimoya has creamy, white flesh and numerous dark colored seeds are embedded in it. When you chill this fruit and eat it, it tastes like a cross between custard and sherbet, which gives its secondary name, custard apple. The skin and seeds are not edible. When you buy the fruit, you should let it ripen at room temperature until it is soft to touch. To serve this fruit, cut it in half and place one half in a bowl and serve with a spoon. You just scoop the flesh with the spoon and eat it while discarding the seeds. Sometimes I think about developing a recipe for ice cream using this fruit.  But I don't  have the heart to spoil the natural sweet and creamy fruit with processed sugar. Who needs ice cream when you can indulge with the delectable fruit cherimoya?


 The next time you find cherimoya in your supermarket, buy it and give it a try. I am sure you will like as much as I do.

  

  

For more memorable centerpieces, tablescapes, and recipes, please check out my book, Entertaining From an Ethnic Indian Kitchen, at my website komalinunna.com.

Please visit Susan's blog for Metamorphosis Monday.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious I'll have to look for it next time I'm at the grocery store!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you from Beneath Naps On The Porch.


    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Komali! I swear I have never seen this fruit at my market...but I will look to other markets and see if I can find it! It looks like a scalped Artichoke! Or chiseled Avocado....I will look...Totally Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that sounds so delicious, I will have to look for it in the store. I love fruit and this sounds yummy. Thanks for the explanation. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful--I have never seen it here in my backwoods town in SC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds wonderful! Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

    Regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Komali, I realize now that I posted the same comment twice (I was so busy clicking the "follow" button, I didn't notice that your comments were being moderated!). Anyway, in comment #3, I'll just say I'm very glad to have found your fascinating blog. I'll definitely be back!

    Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I have never heard of a cherimoya, but it looks very interesting. Thanks for introducing it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This fruit is known as Ramaphalam not sitaphalam.

    ReplyDelete